Purpose of Advising Appointments
The Academic Advising office encourages all students to meet with an advisor so that we can help you make the most of your time at DMACC. When you schedule an appointment, you are assured that your advisor will have up to a full hour to devote to you and your career, educational, and transfer concerns. Follow-up appointments may be needed.
Common appointment activities include:
- Reviewing degree requirements
- Checking progress toward graduation
- Selecting appropriate courses to take for the next semester
- Discussing career goals
- Developing a transfer plan
- Identifying courses needed for transfer
- Reviewing college policies and procedures
- Calculating your grade point average
- Deciding on a major
Preparing for Your Advising Appointment
In order for us to make the best use of your time and to better serve you, it is important for you to come to your appointment prepared. Here are some tips to help you plan for your advising appointment:
- Schedule your advising appointment as early as possible, especially during registration periods. Appointments are often restricted during the two weeks before classes start each term. Walk-ins are assisted on a first come, first serve basis and may be required to wait to visit with an advisor.
- Know what you want to accomplish from your advising appointment.
- Write down your questions and bring them to your appointment.
- Familiarize yourself with DMACC's degree options and consider a major.
- Save important information and completed course check sheets (if applicable), including transcripts of previous college work and other materials you received from past visits.
- Share your academic background with the advisor and be honest about your strengths and weaknesses.
- Remember to turn off your cell phone.
- Treat you advising appointment like a class. Be prepared to take notes, ask questions for clarity, and review information after you leave.