The mission of the Physical Plant Department is to operate and maintain all campus facilities in an efficient and economical manner to provide the college community a safe, healthy and attractive learning environment.
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the operation of the college facilities in Ankeny, Boone, Carroll, Newton, Urban, West, Ames, Transportation Institute and Success Center facilities in the following areas:
- Mechanical/Electrical Maintenance: Heating, cooling, ventilation, electrical, plumbing, utility infrastructure, energy management and fire systems.
- Custodial Services: Housekeeping, waste hauling, pest control and paper recycling.
- Grounds Maintenance: Lawn, shrubs and tree care, landscaping; road, parking lot, and sidewalk maintenance.
- Transportation Services: Vehicle and Bus pool operation, vehicle maintenance, moving and snow removal.
- Mail Services: US Mail and inter-campus mail processing and delivery.
- Security Services: Uniformed officers at Ankeny and Urban Campuses; crime reporting, prevention and investigation; parking control.
- Building Services: Carpentry, modular furniture and walls, painting, flooring, roofing, locks and signage.
- Construction Services: Design and construction management for remodeling and new buildings. Create, modify and manage construction drawings on AutoCAD.
- Warehouse Services: Purchase and issuance of Physical Plant support parts, materials and supplies.
- College Safety: Provide leadership role for the College Safety Committee that addresses OSHA, EPA, Physical Security and other safety related laws and concerns.