Secretary Duncan is the fourth Cabinet-level executive to visit DMACC since 2009.
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan will be joined by Assistant Secretary of Education Brenda Dann-Messier as they host a Town Hall meeting with students, business leaders and Central Iowans. Other Iowans joining Secretary Duncan and Assistant Secretary Dann-Messier on the panel include:
- Rob Denson, DMACC President
- Brenda Colby, Ankeny High School Principal
- Grace Swanson, Vice President of Human Capital, Accumold, Inc
Some of the Town Hall topics will include:
- The future of Career and Technical Education and its importance in rebuilding the American economy
- New initiatives the Administration is taking to increase access to college and ensure it prepares Americans for well-paying jobs
- The overall importance of a higher education in today's job market
1:00 p.m., Thursday, April 19, 2012
FFA Enrichment Center
DMACC Ankeny Campus
2006 S. Ankeny Blvd.
NOTE: On Wednesday, April 18, Assistant Secretary Dann-Messier will tour the DMACC Hunziker Center in Ames (1420 S. Bell Ave.). Afterwards, at 9:00 a.m., she will host a Roundtable discussion on Career and Technical Education and other key issues in post-secondary education today. The media is welcome to attend both events.
Todd Jones, DMACC Marketing; Office: 515-964-6242; Cell: 515-238-8242
Elizabeth Utrup, Secretary Duncan's Assistant Press Secretary, 202-260-2299