Thisis a short-term credit program intended to provide you with the latest information and skills needed to function more effectively in your job or to update your skills for employment possibilities. It will provide you and an employer with evidence of your continued education in a specific occupational area. The education you gain will increase your ability to function in a given area and broaden your skills.
The Long-Term Care Administrator—Practicum certificate is designed for students who need to have the 12 credits of practicum in a long-term care facility to meet the Iowa Board of Nursing Home Administrators eligibility requirements to take the NAB exam. Students are required to complete an Application for Admission, submit official college transcripts to the DMACC Admissions Office and attend a program orientation.
Students are strongly advised to contact one of the staff members of Aging Services Management in Bldg. 24, Room 208A, on the Ankeny Campus or call 515-964-6262 or 515-964-6814 for additional important information.
Types of Work You Will Do
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operation of a healthcare facility.
- Recruit and hire professional and nonprofessional persons for the facility staff.
- Direct, supervise and evaluate the work of the staff.
- Participate in developing and leading continuing training and in-service education.
- Supervise operation of departments such as business, nursing, dietary, laundry, maintenance, housekeeping.
- Participate in preparation of annual budget, annual financial report and other reports.
- Act as a public relations representative.
Skills and Abilities You Will Need
- Initiate and maintain a leadership role.
- Direct, manage and evaluate personnel.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with residents, staff and community agencies.
- Work with numbers to prepare financial reports and budgets.
- Work with and like people who are older and/or chronically ill or disabled.
- Awareness of the need for continual personal and professional growth.
- Effective oral and written communications.
- The program courses (ASM) are offered in a nontraditional format.
- Attendance at all face-to-face course meetings is required.
- Offers excellent opportunities for returning students.
- Average starting salary $55,000-$60,000+.